On December 9-10, 2021, President Joe Biden will host a virtual Summit for Democracy, featuring leaders from government, civil society, and the private sector. The summit will focus on challenges and opportunities facing democracies and will provide a platform for leaders to announce both individual and collective commitments, reforms, and initiatives to defend democracy and human rights at home and abroad.
- Why host a democracy summit? Democracy is in recession around the world, including in the US. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Democracy Index 2020 report, less than 9 percent of the world’s population live in a “full democracy” and more than a third live under authoritarian rule. For current trends and analysis on democracy’s retreat. International IDEA’s Global State of Democracy Report 2021: Building Resilience in a Pandemic Era and Freedom House’s Freedom in the World Report 2021 highlight equally alarming trends across the globe.
- Who will come to the Democracy Summit? 110 countries have been invited to the Democracy Summit – list here: www.state.gov/participant-list-the-summit-for-democracy/
- What will the Democracy Summit focus on? The Democracy Summit will focus on three themes: Defending against authoritarianism, Addressing and fighting corruption, and Promoting respect for human rights.
- How can you get involved in the Democracy Summit?
- There are a number of Host Sponsored events that anyone can register for, including several organized by the House Democracy Partnership, which works with countries around the world to promote responsive, effective government, and strengthen democratic institutions.
- The global multi-stakeholder Global Democracy Coalition is gathering in a virtual forum to be held for 24 hours on December 7th, convened by the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA). The purpose of the Global Democracy Coalition Forum is to galvanize a global conversation on democracy, as inputs to the Summit for Democracy which will be held on 9 and 10 December 2021. Counterpart International is a proud partner in the Global Democracy Coalition Forum-register for the sessions you’re interested in attending here:.
- What happens after the Democracy Summit? There will be a Year of Action after the December 2021 Democracy Summit. Academics, civil society, human rights activists, independent media are encouraged to come forward with bold ideas, initiatives, and collaborative efforts to help support democratic renewal.
With democracy in retreat around the world, the time for action is now. Please join us in this critically important collaboration next week, in the year ahead, and beyond!
We are hosting two panels at #GlobalDemocracyCoalition Forum next Tuesday, Dec 7th examining how social accountability can rebuild democracy and the breakdown in information order and disinformation.
Join Us! Register today by clicking on the webinar title below.
WEBINAR 1 [8 – 9:30am EST]
WEBINAR 2 [3 – 4:30pm EST]