Citizens must be at the center of their communities and their countries. Our efforts in more than 20 countries around the world help equip people to take up their rightful role in civic life. In many countries this requires intentional work with both citizens and governments to help establish new ways of working together. We help communities constructively engage with government and build the capacity of civil society leaders, organizations and networks who educate citizens on how to exercise their rights. We also assist governments in implementing transparent and accountable policies and in building more effective citizen-government partnerships.
What We’re Doing
Counterpart is committed to building the capacity of civil society organizations to improve the ability of citizens to have a full and participatory role in the civic life of their country. Our work aligns with Goal 16 of the UN Sustainable Development Goals: to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
To advance Goal 16, Counterpart will continue to:
- build the capacity of civil society organizations working on behalf of human rights and inclusive civic participation
- amplify the voices of citizens advocating for government responsiveness and policy reform
- help governments create the mechanisms to engage citizens in decision making
- strengthen civil society organizations to sustainably serve community needs
- promote partnership and mutual investment in community development among NGOs, business and government
- strengthen the capacity of governments and civil society organizations to collaboratively fight corruption